Ogier in the BVI
Ogier has built a reputation for excellence in the areas of investment funds, corporate and commercial, banking and finance, dispute resolution, restructuring and insolvency, private client and trusts and has been consistently ranked as one of the jurisdiction's pre-eminent firms by the leading legal directories.
We act for leading global financial institutions, investment managers and corporate entities from start-ups to global household names and are also instructed by many leading law firms and other intermediaries. We are instructed on many of the noteworthy and complex transactions and cases that involve the BVI across numerous industry sectors including financial services; investment funds; energy and infrastructure; consumer goods and retail; life sciences, leisure and entertainment, manufacturing and real estate, to mention a few.
Our BVI team have advised on many firsts including;
- the IPO of the largest listed BVI company to date(Lenta Limited's US$ 1 billion listing on the Main Board of the London Stock Exchange and the Moscow Stock Exchange).
- the largest acquisition / disposal of a BVI company (Rosneft's US$ 55 billion acquisition of TNK-BP).
- the largest listed note issuance by a BVI issuer (Cemex's US$ 3 billion note issuance).
- the creation of the BVI's largest joint venture company (TNK-BP).
- the largest debt restructuring involving multiple BVI companies (UCR's US$ 18 billion global debt restructure).
- the first takeover of a BVI company by way of a Court approved plan of arrangement.
- the largest receivership sale involving BVI companies (42 BVI property companies in a hotel chain receivership disposal).
A number of our partners and senior lawyers joined us from leading international law firms or other jurisdictions and have many years' experience in their fields of expertise. Our partners have a longstanding commitment to the jurisdiction and are independently sought out by Governmental and Public Sector authorities to support and steer industry and regulatory best practice.
Why the BVI?
The BVI is a British overseas territory with a legal system based on English common law. Politically stable, the islands have established a thriving international business industry, recognised and ranked among the world’s top offshore jurisdictions.
As an international finance centre, BVI offers:
- An independent and robust Financial Services Commission acknowledged as a strong and sophisticated Regulator.
- An international platform with a global footprint where Government has created strong international trade and diplomatic relationships.
For a full list of contacts in our BVI office, please click here.
Wickhams Cay II
PO Box 3170
Road Town, Tortola
British Virgin Islands VG1110
Tel: +1 284 852 7300
Fax: +1 284 852 7450
Location map (PDF)