Bruce has represented a wide range of financial institutions and companies on banking, derivatives, corporate, finance and restructuring transactions. He is individually recommended for Jersey Banking and Finance advice in The Legal 500 and recognised as a Leading Lawyer in the IFLR 1000 2017.
Before joining Ogier in 2008, he worked as a finance associate in the London offices of Latham & Watkins and Allen & Overy (including a secondment with UBS Investment Bank).
Bruce studied law at University College London and is a member of The Law Society of England and Wales. He qualified as an English Solicitor in 2003, was admitted to practice as a New York Attorney in 2009 and qualified as a Jersey Advocate in 2013.
2003 - England and Wales
2009 - New York
2013 - Jersey
- advising Eurohypo (with Allen & Overy as English legal advisers) on the amendment and restatement of 800,000,000 and 400,000,000 facilities with Jersey property unit trust and company obligors
- advising AIB (with Clifford Chance as English legal advisers) on security and insolvency issues for the EUR 945,000,000 debt restructuring of Independent News & Media
- advising Barclays (with Freshfields as English legal advisers) on the sale of Breedon Holdings Limited to a subsidiary of AIM listed Marwyn Materials Limited, including the refinancing of 134,500,000 facilities
- advising IDB Trust Services Limited as issuer and working with the Islamic Development Bank on the 2009 and 2010 updates to its US$3,500,000,000 sukuk trust certificate programme
- advising Circle Holdings plc, the Jersey holding company for the Circle UK healthcare group, on its AIM listing (with Freshfields as English legal advisers)
- advising Pershing Limited on regulatory and other issues in connection with the establishment of its Jersey subsidiary and Channel Islands office
- advising the International Swaps and Derivatives Association, Inc. (ISDA) on the Jersey ISDA netting and collateral opinions (updated on an annual basis and available from ISDA's website)
- advising ICMA on the Jersey GMRA opinion (updated on an annual basis and available from ICMA's website) and advising SLRC on the Jersey GMSLA opinion (updated on an annual basis and available from aosphere's website here).
Bruce is the author of various client briefings and the Jersey chapter of The Acquisition and Leveraged Finance Review (available here). He is also the co-author of two PLC articles. The first on the new Security Interests (Jersey) Law (available here) provides a comparison of the Security Interests (Jersey) Law 1983 to the new law and describes the main changes which came into force in January 2014. The second is entitled 'Court and out of court restructuring options in Jersey and Guernsey’ (available here) and provides an overview of insolvency procedures under Guernsey and Jersey law.