Oliver has acted in contentious and non-contentious cross-border restructuring and insolvency matters and a wide range of commercial litigation including contractual claims, fraud claims, financial services litigation, shareholder and joint venture disputes, enforcement matters, as well as arbitration. He regularly appears in court and has full rights of audience as a solicitor advocate.
His clients include private and listed companies, financial institutions, private equity funds, hedge funds, insolvency practitioners and high net worth individuals based in the CIS, Asia, Europe and the US.
Oliver's ongoing and recent cases include acting for:
- Two Gulf investors on c.$100m claims arising from systematic unlawful conduct by the general partner and other parties in relation to the assets and affairs of an investment fund
- A dissenting shareholder group in fair value appraisal proceedings under s.238 of the Cayman Islands Companies Act in respect of the US$937 million take private of China's leading car services provider, eHi Car
- Constellation Group and the joint provisional liquidators on the first ever 'soft touch' provisional liquidation in the BVI and a BVI scheme of arrangement in support of the Group's $1.5 billion global restructuring
- A high net worth businessman on (i) claims against his former business partner for the misappropriation of company trading profits and (ii) worldwide freezing injunction and receivership applications in support of such claims
- The applicants on (i) worldwide freezing injunction applications against a high net worth individual and BVI companies, (ii) Norwich Pharmacal applications against the registered agents of the BVI companies and (iii) contempt proceedings against the BVI companies for breach of the asset disclosure provisions under the freezing injunction orders. The Norwich Pharmacal applications resulted in the ground-breaking judgment of Wallbank J in KS v ZZ BVHICM 2020/0016 which confirmed the jurisdiction of the BVI Court to grant Norwich Pharmacal disclosure relief in aid of foreign proceedings
- An Asian bank on its successful applications for the appointment of liquidators over 2 BVI companies in respect of defaults under a $500m facility agreement
- A BVI company in relation to a freezing injunction obtained by another BVI company over the former's shares in a joint venture company in support of LCIA arbitration proceedings concerning alleged breaches of a shareholders agreement
- An alternative investment management company on its claims for damages and an injunction in respect of defamatory statements posted on the internet
Oliver is part of Ogier's Restructuring and Corporate Recovery team. He specialises in formal insolvency procedures, statutory remedies, and investor and shareholder rights/actions, with experience in distressed funds and private equity.
Before joining Ogier's Cayman Islands office in October 2020, Oliver was a member of the firm's BVI office for two years. Prior to joining Ogier in 2018, Oliver was at Enyo Law in London. Before that, Oliver trained at Weil, Gotshal & Manges in London.
Oliver studied law at the University of Sussex and graduated with First Class Honours in 2014.
Cayman Islands Legal Practitioners Association
RISA (Cayman Islands and BVI chapters of INSOL)
ThoughtLeaders4 Disputes and Next Gen
BVI Bar Association
BVI Arbitration Group
2017 - England and Wales (Solicitor Advocate, non-practising)
2018 - British Virgin Islands (Solicitor of the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court)
2021 - Cayman Islands (Attorney at Law)