Shaun has appeared as counsel before numerous courts and tribunals internationally and is accustomed to managing complex, high-value litigation.
Shaun's recent cases include:
- Representing numerous dissenting shareholders in proceedings brought under section 238 of the Companies Law to determine the fair value of their shareholdings.
- Acting for the Executors of estates worth over $75 million in relation to issues arising in administration – including bringing a construction application under the Trusts Law and an application for disclosure under the Confidential Information Disclosure Law.
- Working as part of the multi-award winning cross-jurisdictional team advising on, and implementing, Taiwan Cement Corporation's privatisation through the use of a Cayman Islands scheme of arrangement.
- Challenging an order obtained by the Cayman Islands Monetary Authority (acting at the request of an Australian regulator) for the disclosure of information - including bringing an appeal to the Cayman Islands Court of Appeal.
- Obtaining common law recognition and assistance to liquidators appointed by the High Court of Hong Kong over an exempted Cayman Islands incorporated company in circumstances where there were no parallel insolvency proceedings in Cayman.
- Advising the Joint Provisional Liquidators on the restructuring of Ocean Rig - the Cayman Islands' largest ever successful restructuring and one of the largest globally, resulting in an exchange by creditors of approximately $3.7 billion of debt for new equity
Before relocating to the Cayman Islands, Shaun worked in Ogier's Jersey office and at specialist commercial litigation firms in New Zealand where he was admitted as a barrister and solicitor in 2007.
Shaun has had articles published in many leading publications and is recognised in the Citywealth Leaders List. He is a member of the Restructuring and Insolvency Specialists Association, INSOL International and the Cayman Islands Legal Practitioners Association.
2016 - Cayman Islands
2007 – New Zealand (non practicing)