James has extensive experience advising professional trustees, family offices, intermediaries and high-net worth families (both internationally and locally) on all aspects of Jersey trusts, foundations and estate planning together with all related company and commercial law issues.
James frequently advises on the establishment, ongoing operation and restructuring of both private and commercial trusts. He has a particular focus on the drafting of trust instruments, supplemental trust deeds and the establishment and use of private trust companies.
He also advises trustees, employers and other professionals on a wide range of Jersey employee benefit and pension related matters.
- Co-author of "Guidelines for Jersey Directors" published by the IoD
- Author of "The importance of prudence and trustee investment duties" published in The Journal of International Tax, Trust and Corporate Planning
- A speaker at the Anti-Money Laundering, Financial Crime and Sanctions Conference in May 2016 with James focusing on the impact of sanctions on private wealth structures
- A panellist at the "Jersey Finance Annual Private Client Conference" on "plotting a route" in May 2015 with James focusing on Jersey's core strengths in private client structuring
- A judge for the WealthBriefing Awards in 2014, 2015 and 2016
- Co-author of article "The Middle East: Bespoke Structuring on the rise" published in eprivateclient December 2015
The leading directories recognise James' expertise, and clients have described him as "a top notch lawyer with an excellent grasp of cross-border issues" and that "he provides coherent, competent, concise and clear advice on what can be extremely technical issues". James is recognised as a leading individual in the latest editions of Legal 500 and Chambers. Private Client Practitioner has recognised James in their 50 Most Influential list.
Before joining Ogier in May 2017 James was a partner in the trusts group of another law firm in Jersey specialising in international private client work.
James is an English Solicitor, an Advocate of the Royal Court of Jersey, and a member of The Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP).
2002 - Jersey
1997 - England and Wales