Nathan Powell is a partner based in Ogier's Hong Kong office and is Global Head of Corporate legal services. He has a broad corporate finance practice with particular expertise in using BVI, Cayman and Jersey companies for capital markets, IPOs, mergers and acquisitions (public and private), consortium acquisitions, private equity structures and joint ventures. He is part of Ogier's multi-disciplinary Private Equity team. He specialises in Downstream Corporate advisory – acquisitions, investments and exits. He also has a strong focus on bank financing and restructurings.
Nathan Powell is also part of Ogier's multi-disciplinary Restructuring and Corporate Recovery team. He specialises in refinancings, corporate restructuring and reorganisations, member and creditor schemes of arrangement and investor and shareholder rights and actions. He also has experience of bond restructurings.
Prior to joining Ogier in 2006, Nathan spent eight years as a corporate lawyer with Freshfields in London and Singapore.
Nathan is ranked as a leading individual in Chambers Global (2012-2021), Chambers Asia-Pacific (2012-2021), Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2013-2021) and IFLR 1000 (Notable Practitioner).
Key transactions include advising:
- JOYY Inc. as Cayman counsel on the sale of its YY Live livestreaming business for China to Baidu Inc for approximately US$3.6 billion. (China Business Law Journal - Deal of the Year 2020);
- Ogier acted as BVI counsel to Geely Automobile Holdings Ltd. (SEHK:0175) in its US$3 billion secondary listing on Shanghai's STAR stock exchange. The listing of Geely Auto, whose parent company Zhejiang Geely Holding Group also controls Swedish brand Volvo Cars, would be the first car company to join Shanghai's technology-focused STAR stock exchange;
- DouYu International Holdings Limited as Cayman counsel in connection with its US$10 billion stock-for-stock merger with HUYA Inc.. (China Business Law Journal - Deal of the Year 2020);
- Foxconn as BVI and Cayman counsel in connection with Foxconn Industrial Internet's RMB 27 billion (US$ 4.3 billion) IPO on the Shanghai Stock Exchange. This was China's largest IPO since 2015 and the world's second largest IPO in H1 2018;
- JSR Corporation as Cayman counsel in connection with its NTD12 billion acquisition of the Taiwan listed Crown Bioscience International by way of a Cayman statutory merger;
- Hong Kong Listed TCC International Holdings Limited as Cayman counsel in connection with the US$2.5 billion privatisation by Taiwan Cement Corporation and TCC International Limited by way of a scheme of arrangement (Mapect Taiwan M&A Deal of the Year, Most Innovative M&A Deal and Best Cross-Strait M&A Deal in 2017);
- Naked Hub group as BVI and Cayman counsel on the sale to WeWork;
- MOGU Holdings Limited as Cayman counsel in its strategic merger with Meiliworks Inc., valuing the combined company at US$3 billion;
- China Logistics Property as Cayman and BVI counsel on its HK$3.3 billion HK IPO and related note issuance;
- Shanghai JiaJiang Hotels on its US$1.53 billion acquisition of a 81% share in the Platino Chinese Hotel Group from the Caryle Group, Sequoia Capital and Actis;
- Ping An Insurance in connection with its participation in the take private consortium to acquire HK listed Dalian Wanda for US$4.4 billion. This is the largest take private of a Hong Kong listed company to date;
- Midea Group as BVI counsel on the establishment of a HK listed US$3 billion guaranteed medium term note programme;
- China Media Capital as Cayman counsel on its US$400 million investment in Manchester City Football Club's holding company and its acquisition of a stake in Hong Kong's TVB;
- Graff Diamonds as BVI counsel in relation to a US$450 million refinancing loan and Cayman counsel on its proposed US$1 billion Hong Kong IPO;
- China Shenhua as BVI counsel on its debut US$1.5 billion international bond issue;
- Xinhu Zhongbao as BVI counsel on its US$700 million 6.00% guaranteed senior notes issuance – the largest debut issuance of a high yield bond since January 2013 (deal shortlisted for High Yield Bond of the Year at IFLR Asia Awards 2018);
- China Overseas Land as Cayman counsel on its issue of €600 million 1.75% guaranteed bonds;
- The Foxconn group as BVI and Cayman counsel on various matters including the spin-off and IPO of various subsidiaries, sale of a stake in GoPro pursuant to its US IPO and several convertible bond and GDR issues;
- Khuan Choo International as BVI counsel in relation to the purchase of the Crabtree & Evelyn business;
- Xstrata plc on Jersey law aspects of its US$64 billion merger with Glencore International;
- The syndicate of banks acting as underwriters on Glencore International's US$10 billion London and Hong Kong IPO;
- A Goldman Sachs led consortium on its £2.8 billion acquisition of AB Ports plc by public offer;
- Hutchison Ports Holdings Limited, a subsidiary of Hutchison Whampoa Limited, in relation to the establishment of an offshore holding structure and subsequently a joint venture for a major UK port.
Nathan is a Registered Foreign Lawyer regulated by the Law Society of Hong Kong.
1999 - England and Wales
2009 - Jersey
2011 - British Virgin Islands