Nick began his career in the corporate finance department at Clifford Chance in London. He joined Ogier in the Cayman Islands in 2001, before relocating to Hong Kong in 2003 with another Cayman Islands firm, where he became a partner in 2005. Nick returned to the Cayman Islands in 2006 and re-joined Ogier as a partner in 2010.
Nick specialises in:
- Advising hedge funds and hedge fund managers on structuring, formation, regulation, corporate governance and ongoing operational matters
- Advising private equity sponsors on the structuring and formation of closed-ended investment vehicles
- Advising institutional, strategic and seed investors into investment funds
- Advising on bespoke investment fund products, such as shipping, residential real estate, clean tech and crypto-currency
- Advising on joint ventures, shareholders' agreements, and share and asset acquisitions and disposals
Some of Nick's recent transactions include:
- Advised on the first Bitcoin fund registered with the Cayman Islands Monetary Authority
- Advised a leading Florida-based mutual fund manager with US$10 billion under management on the establishment and ongoing requirements for its first alternative investment fund
- Ongoing representation of leading US event-driven manager with US$16 billion under management in relation to operational and corporate governance aspects of its hedge fund portfolio
- Advised leading secondaries fund sponsor on the establishment and closing of its sixth secondaries fund, with capital commitments of US$5.5 billion
- Represented a European bank on its proposed investment into a private equity fund focused on small and medium-sized enterprises in Ireland
Nick is a member of the Cayman Islands Legal Professionals Association and is also a Director of Cayman Finance.